Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Project
If you are a resident of public housing and have a questions about how RAD will impact you and your family, please contact your property manager for information that is specific to your property. You may also call us using the RAD Hotline at (915) 849-3888 or send us your questions through our Contact Us Form.
The Housing Authority of the City of El Paso (HACEP) is participating in a new program offered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) called the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD). RAD seeks to preserve public housing by providing public housing agencies (PHAs) with access to more stable funding to make needed improvements to properties.
RAD is a central part of HUD's strategy to preserve the nation’s rapidly aging and deteriorating stock of deeply affordable rental housing.
- HUD gives ownership of city’s public housing to HACEP.
- Allows HACEP to use proven financing to rehab and replace housing to meet citizen-driven demand.
- Allows HACEP to utilize LIHTC (low-income housing tax credits) to secure access to public housing.
- Aligns with citizen feedback and goals from Plan El Paso 2012.
By opening up access to 9% and 4% federal housing tax credits and to private capital (tax credit equity, debt), HUD is allowing HACEP to redevelop properties to preserve and create public housing units and other affordable apartments that are necessary to support El Paso's low-income population with safe, decent, and affordable housing.
RAD Resources for the General Public
- RAD Assembly for Housing Authority of the City of El Paso Employees
- RAD Phase I Construction School Information Breakdown
- Map of Public Housing Communities Within EPISD and YISD School Districts
- RAD Phase I Properties and Anticipated Construction Schedules (Updated January 21, 2015)
- RAD Phase II Properties and Anticipated Construction Schedules (Updated November 28, 2014)
- RAD PowerPoint Presentation (Updated October 21, 2014)
- Top 10 FAQs About RAD
- HACEP - Factsheet
RAD Information for Public Housing Residents
- Presentation: RAD Updates for Residents - English & Spanish (Updated March 28, 2015)
- Presentation: RAD Updates for Residents - English (Updated January 26, 2015)
- Presentation: RAD Updates for Residents - Spanish (Updated January 26, 2015)
- Handout: RAD Updates for Residents - English (Updated January 26, 2015)
- Handout: RAD Updates for Residents - Spanish (Updated January 26, 2015)
- HUD Model Lease, Housing and Community Rules, Tenant Selection Plan
- HUD Model Lease, Housing and Community Rules, Tenant Selection Plan - Spanish
- RAD FAQs for Current HACEP Residents
- RAD Video Presentation to Public Housing Residents
- HUD's RAD Overview for Residents